ORIGIN: late Middle English: from Latin resolutio(n-), from resolvere ‘loosen, release’(see resolve)
Ah, now we're getting somewhere. Yes, there are all the usual ways to define the word, but isn't this so much more delicious to consider? Instead of telling yourself to do or not to do something, why not just release it? Loosen it? Let it go?
So, in the spirit of letting go, I therefore proclaim a few things I really want to do to let loose in 2013 just for the hell of it.
This all started at the end of 2012 when I went to Catalina Island, zip-lining with Fiona, my brother, Charles and his partner Ian. And that's Charles in the thumbnail above, showing off for the camera.
In no particular order, here are things I will do in 2013:
- Night time zip-lining. Awesome fun during the day, and I can only imagine what it's like in the pitch darkness with only the moonlight and headlamps to light the way
- Stand-up paddle boarding. I've kayaked the Laguna coastline and will do that again for sure, but I haven't as yet embarked on paddle boarding and that's next on the list
- Hot air ballooning. Close by, in Temecula, you can take a sunrise or sunset balloon ride over the vineyards and hillsides of wine country. Got to be done.
- Skydiving. There are a few places to do this - Lake Elsinore for one - and I've been talking about it for long enough that I need to put my money where my mouth is and just do it.
- Go-karting. I've done this before, but it's been a long time and the thrill is exhilarating if you go to one of the places that the karts can get up to real speed. Even better is the competitive spirit that rises to the surface when you just have to get past your friends and win.
- Catalina Island bungee jumping. The last time I bungee jumped was a very long time ago from a hot air balloon in West Virginia. I guess technically that means I can cross two things off my list already, but a new suspension bridge is being built on Catalina that will open in late summer 2013 which you can jump off. I'm there.
- A week at a spa. Yeah, I just want this.