Taking a giant leap into the unknown without much of a safety net is probably not for everyone, but if you have a fierce belief in where you're heading and an unshakable sense of purpose, I'm here to say that you absolutely must do it. Not only that, but you must tell others you're doing it so that they can either urge you forward with eager prodding and well-wishes, or, tell you you're nuts and ask when you're going to get a "real" job again. The former set of people are inspiring and preferable, but the latter are equally useful during the journey, playing the role of devil's advocate and asking the difficult questions.
What you'll find along the way, as I have, is that when you articulate what you're doing and what you're planning and you dare to share your dreams and passions, is that others will talk about theirs, and that sometimes, maybe over a cup of coffee, someone will mention people you should meet and events you should attend, and your dreams actually have a chance of becoming reality.
I've spent the last three months writing, writing and writing: just getting stuff out of my head and down on paper and it's been a joy to do. Writing is a solitary profession but you can't do it alone.
I want to thank all of you who've been reading my blog, writing comments, sending encouraging emails and cheering me on from the sidelines. Thanks to those of you who've listened to me over coffee, lunch, on the phone or over glasses of champagne. In the past three months, exciting things have already happened:
- I won a writing contest and had my essay published in Barefoot Writer magazine
- I had an article published on Best Friends Animal Society's website
- I wrote an essay on Christmas as part of a Holiday Digest, published by my local newspaper
- I edited other essays about the holidays that were included in the Holiday Digest
- My "Lost In Translation" blog posts are being read by more people than I could imagine
- The non-fiction book I'm writing is growing daily, and will hopefully be published in 2013. More details to share on that soon
- I'm embarking on a co-writing and co-editing position for a section of a local lifestyle magazine, commencing in January.
Happy New Year to everyone. May 2013 bring you all the joy, happiness and contentment you desire.